Thursday, November 25, 2010

Us vs Me

A good sign of someone who is emeshed in their thinking with the children is a parent who constantly uses 'us'.. instead of me/I. For example, the alienating or potential alienator will say things like 'You left us', 'Your father left our family', etc. What they don't understand is that in 99.9% of cases, the parent leaving, is not leaving the children, they are leaving the other parent. Therefore, it's not 'You left us', they should be saying 'You left me'..

By lumping the children in with the situation, they are emeshed in their thinking.. they cannot differentiate between their own feelings and their own children. This is typical narcissitic personally disorder, is very easy to notice and a classic sign of an alienating parent or one that has potential of becoming one if not quickly corrected.

I strongly suggest to anyone who hears this kind of 'us' talk to quickly put a stop to it by correcting it EVERY SINGLE TIME it's said. Don't just leave it alone and think of it as an annoying thing the other parent is doing to push your buttons. It's very very important to make sure that parents gets it.. and the only way they can get it is if they are corrected every single time.

It does not have to be in a forceful way.. it can be something as simple as saying calmly .. "I did not leave my family, I left you. " or "I did not leave my children, I left you", etc. Sounds silly.. but I feel it's important and it makes an impact over time. Correct it everytime and eventually they will stop saying it and hopefully thinking it!

Also be sure to correct any family member or friend (ex?) that says any such thing as 'You left your family'. Most people don't leave their family, they leave their spouse or partner. If that's the case for you, be sure to correct it every time, said by anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment